Govt policies to play a crucial role
The Indian textile and apparel industry was estimated to be worth Rs 6,25,930 crore in 2015 and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 9 per cent to reach Rs 9,35,123 crore, by 2020. Of the total market size domestic consumption accounts for approximately 60 per cent and exports accounts for the rest approximately 40 per cent. The domestic market is expected to show higher CAGR of 10 per cent in comparison to exports, which is expected to grow at CAGR of 6 per cent over next five years.
Advantage India - GV Aras, Director, A.T.E. Enterprises Ltd
India has great textile tradition dating back to centuries with stories of the famous ‘Dacca muslin’ getting around the world in older times. India’s textile sector is one of the oldest also dating back to centuries. Today also the textile sector is one of the largest contributors to India’s exports. After the agriculture sector it is the second largest employer giving employment to nearly 45 million people. It contributes to nearly 14 per cent of the industrial production and 4 per cent share of the GDP of the country. These figures are enough to highlight the importance of this sector to the nation.
India’s position in global textile industry
The top 10 markets in the world for textile and apparel constitute for 48 per cent of India’s total textile and apparel exports. The current global apparel market is worth $1.7 trillion and it constitutes around 2 per cent of the world’s GDP. The European Union, USA and China are the world’s largest apparel markets with a combined share of approximately 54 per cent.
Textile vision 2020 - From Dream to Reality! Doubling India’s textile trade share
Can India take its share of 4.5% in global textile trade to 9-10% by 2020? An ITJ Exclusive explores the dreams and realities. India is No. 2 in the global textile trade, next only to China. But the country’s share is a measly 4.5 per cent against the 45 per cent of China’s. The Indian textile and apparel industry was estimated to be worth Rs 6,25,930 crore in 2015 and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 9 per cent to reach Rs 9,35,123 crore, by 2020.
Spinners see only dark tunnel ahead
In my business life, I have not seen a worse situation than this, where such a big disparity is there between spot cotton prices and yarn prices. This disparity for such an extended period of time shows there is a deep rooted problem and it’s not a temporary feature. The current isolated spurt in Indian cotton prices has aggravated the situation to an extent that many can hear the death knell. The more disturbing fact is that no domestic yarn buyer is hassled or is rushing to buy yarn-they know cotton prices have moved 50 per cent and yarn just 20 per cent-still no anxiety! International buyers have diverted their orders as cotton in India has increased much much more in comparison to international cotton prices.
Pricing policy is required to keep cotton prices on par with international prices
The Cotton Textiles Export Promotion Council, known as TEXPROCIL, has been the international face of cotton textiles from India facilitating exports worldwide. The Council connects international buyers with appropriate suppliers and facilitates interaction that enables them to source their specific needs. Siddhartha Rajagopal, Executive Director, Texprocil, provides some wish-list for the industry and the Government in boosting cotton consumption in India.
Rising cotton prices to hit hard small players
The sharp rise of over 35 per cent in domestic cotton prices since May 2016 will squeeze ginners and spinners profitability by over 15 per cent, says India Ratings and Research (Ind-Ra). Ind-Ra expects prices to remain elevated around the current levels of Rs 120 per kg to Rs 127 per kg till the end of the cotton crop year of September 2016. The spike in cotton prices will adversely impact the profitability of pure cotton ginners and spinners due to their inability to pass on this steep increase to their customers, at once, due to decreasing cotton demand and increased competitiveness of manmade fibre.
The Cotton squeeze!
Soaring cotton prices are spinning the spinners’ future out of control. Dipping cotton stock is adding to the woes. At this stage, a sharp drop in cotton prices is only a far cry, reveals an ITJ Exclusive Report. Cotton has never failed in the last one decade to kick up controversies with various interests getting down to a tug of war trying to call the shots. The year 2006 is no exception. The sharp rise of over 35 per cent in domestic cotton prices since May 2016 is certain to squeeze ginners and spinners profitability by over 15 per cent, says India Ratings and Research (Ind-Ra).